Favorite Scripture

Alma 36:21-22
21 Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy.

22 Yea, methought I saw, even as our father Lehi saw, God sitting upon His throne, surrounded with numberless concourses of angels, in the attitude of singing and praising their God; yea, and my soul did long to be there.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Dear Blog Readers,

You probably noticed that I haven't updated Chris's blog much in the past month--a.k.a. not at all.  We were warned recently about posting his emails to the internet, even told that it is a violation of copyright laws.  Well, then we were told the information about breaking the law was not true, but that we should really not be sharing his personal emails to us with everyone we know.  I am still processing all this info deciding what I am going to do for the rest of his mission. 

Christopher set up this blog with me with the intent that I would post his email correspondence each week.  We are doing this so that our family and friends near and far can keep up to date with what he is doing, how he is doing, and feel a part of this wonderful adventure in service to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  I intend to keep doing just that.  I will be careful to remove names of investigators, and anything that I feel is just too personal or private or controversial for sharing in this format.  Thank you for your understanding.  If you ever feel I've shared too much or too little please let me know.

So, without further ado, here is Chris.



So, before I get to responding I am going to talk about my week before I forget and leave you without.

A. This week sucked for us. The actual work, the lessons, the day by day life wasn't bad. Nope, what sucked was that about half our investigators might be dropped as of this week.
Yeah, it really get's to you.

On a happier note: MY FIRST BAPTISM!!!!!!!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!



Quina got baptized and confirmed this week. She got married in November (husband is already a member) and took the lessons until this week Elder Brandao dunked her! YEAH!!! The other three young women in the pictures are three baptisms of E. Barlow(in his last transfer) and E. Hales(one transfer behind me and was trained by Barlow. He'll send his trainer home.). Those three had been coming to church and doing EVERYTHING for a year. We are counciled not to baptize jovens (youngins or teens) unless they really show commitment. Instead, we shoot for families. These three however, after a year, really showed they were committed.

All right. Let's play a game:
Out of the next 4 blurbs three are true. Let's see if you can guess which is the fib.

1. Three aliens invaded our home. Their prince, in his sparkling green and blue armor flew in first. After marveling at him we electrocuted him. He wouldn't die, so we put him in a bottle. Well, they weren't happy with us and sent in heavy armor to take us out. They big guy, yellow and sharp, was hard, he fought, but we won. The little tank dude didn't even stand a chance. Now they are all in our living room in a bottle as our trophies.

2. Peixe seco...take a fish, stick it on a basket in the sun for four days or more till he's dry, then eat him. Let me tell you, after taking Elder Robinson's dare and trying it I resolved never to eat fish again. Nasty as all get out. Honestly, I have no idea what I was thinking.

3. The last lesson of the night, close to going home, and of course...a headache. Well, it didn't stop with my head, no, it moved down my body till I just rocked back and forth and Brandao took the lesson. We went home early. Malaria? Maybe, all I know is that is hurt.

4. So, when one feels the upper way back section of his teeth should one feel two bumps? Suspiciously, I felt again, yup, that feels like a tooth. Could it be that someone switched X-rays when Dr. Jenson checked for wisdom teeth? Maybe it's a rescent developement. Either way, I don't think having wisdom teeth taken out on your mission IN AFRICA is something one wants.

So, take your best bet at which one is false and in my PS at the end I'll let you know.

So, the four package rule kind of doesn't exist. It kinda does, but really that was Pres Spendlove not Kretly. All sorts of missionaries get more. The rule is...don't send lots. It cost money and time over here just to get them to missionaries. So, if you'd like, I would be more than willing to receive one at both those times...anyway, now that I've been selfish.

A couple of ideas for the next one though: A small Portuguese Biblia Sagrada. Small, as in the size of the Book of Mormon I have over here. It's got tabs on the side and weighs so much less that my chunky one. Also, it's pretty gold foil on the side, doesn't matter, but is nice anyway. If it's not too expensive, there's an idea.

4 things of deodorant...yup...or 6

Pictures...don't care of what, just of Home and of you guys.

Now to get in the responses. Crap, what time is it? OK, let's get typing faster.

Cold...I don't want to hear it. Ya'll can put on "blankets, socks, sweaters, scarves, hoodies, slippers, and hot corn bags all the time" but here I suffer from sweat and sun. Humidity sucks...wet and sticky all the time.

Kidding, I know cold weather isn't fun either. It sucks life from the bone. Hang in there.

Now that you mention Michael Buble, I miss that guy. Enjoy.

JesusChrist.lds.org...Nice! Maningue nice! *finger snap thing*(have Josh do it for me)

Shoes, they are wonderful. Right now they are covered in dried mud or "Matapi" as they call it here, but I love them-I think this one pair will last my whole two years(the other I left in Maputo and plan on never wearing them here...they are niiiice. I'll buy a pair up here if these die, which they won't). Boots... genius, an absolute necessity. The kind we bought was worth every penny. What I should have brought was a rain jacket.

Gray pants always... haha. I have three pairs of black and two of gray and I always take photos in gray. That's kind of funny. Yeah, they are holding up really well, haven't had a problem. Only, the black pants are fading to gray as well(that might explain the gray pictures too).

Socks...ug...these are great for Utah, but humidity makes them stick. Other than hardish to pull on though, they are great too.

"Well, I'm sending angels and love and happy wishes and thought of joy to you. Can you feel then? Can you feel how much I love being YOUR mom?"

Yes, I feel your love. I hope you know I love all of you over here. Hm...I feel really gushy saying that. RUB SOME MUD IN IT! There, some manhood in my letter.

Confident, me? Thanks for that paragraph. Eat me some of that popcorn.

Hehe...Nate...I can see the storage unit now. Tell Josh good luck with teh move when it happens.\

Well, gotta go use my time wisely and write everyone within my time limit.

I love y'all a ton and wish you could experience Africa with me a bit,

Elder Christopher Wartena


PS. If you guessed that #2 was false you were right! I did not eat that horrible fish, but they really do stick it in the sun like that and eat it. No cooking needed.

Alien #1
Alien #2

The aliens were three weird bugs. The first was a blueish green bee with a sick stinger while the other two were a giant bumble bee and a beetle. All three wouldn't die with our bug zapper, just were stunned, so we put them in a bottle. I think the beetle might even still live.

I didn't have malaria, just a night where I felt nasty sick. I got better by morning. This is the raining season and therefore the season of sickness here.

OK, please verify with Dr. Jensen. Did he tell me I would NEVER get wisdom teeth or was I just dreaming? No, don't say that, that's rude and I don't mean it. But I seriously feel two bumps on my upper teeth that feel like growing teeth. I'll keep you updated on what happens with that.

PPS. Chocolate? Yes, chocolate exists here and I like it. Some sucks and some doesn't.

PPPS. HAHA! Guess who tries to reinvent that last week without taco soup mix and succeeded! HAHA! I got to say I was pretty proud of my taco soup.


May you all be well and healthy in this season of winter.  Thanks for your love and support.

Signing off for now,
The Mama

1 comment:

  1. Dear Chris:
    We continue to be so very proud of you! You are doing such wonderful work in Africa. How exciting to have your first baptism! We love you and pray for your protection and success always.
    love, g'pa & g'ma Hanna

    ReplyDelete