Favorite Scripture

Alma 36:21-22
21 Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy.

22 Yea, methought I saw, even as our father Lehi saw, God sitting upon His throne, surrounded with numberless concourses of angels, in the attitude of singing and praising their God; yea, and my soul did long to be there.

Monday, February 25, 2013


At last I shall update the blog again. I emailed Chris about the matter, and he says to post the emails. They shall be edited as is needed. Now, without further ado . . .


Let me tell you...I did not think I was going to be transferred, much less another plane trip back to Maputo. Gosh, you should have seen my face. Elder Brandao knew about this before the fact (that he'd be staying and TRAINING, weird.) so he was all smiley about it. He is very satisfied with what happened. Honestly, I learned a TON from him. I learned tons of Portuguese and a lot about how to be bold and teach with power. I will miss him.

Well, now that you know I am moving, where? Right? Well, like I said, Maputo is my flight destination. I am going to be working in an area Maputo 2C. It is right in the city, unlike T3 was, and I believe my house is with the assistants. (fun thought, if you use Google translate it will translate assistantes to wizards...so we don't have assistants, we have wizards who help the pres.) My new comp is Elder Coombs. I have never met him, but I am told he is great.

My district shall be made up of Elderes Rios, and Cyrier (the wizards), Elderes Greenman and Ostler (Ostler is from Orem), and Elderes me and Coombs.

Oh, yes, deep water huh? Rest assured now, Maputo city has no location such like Chota. Also, no, it was not normal...hehe...I think I half wanted to worry you, kidding. No, I have long videos of that trek, it was fun. Don't worry about being swept away either, if I fell I'd just get real wet and messy, then stand back up.
My gosh JOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! YOU ARE A REAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLYY OLD MAN! Eight, EIGHT! eight? Seriously, eight? WOAH!!!!!!! Who is gonna baptise you booger? Soon I won't be able to call you booger you are getting so big.

Mouth, fine, nothing wrong. Stop worrying and tell Dr. Jensen he is amazing. Congrats on the no cavity status. I'm impressed.


Enjoy the photos my family. There is a lot from the wedding and baptism. It was quite a day for us. Also, the baptism: 5 people. Our family, Mom, Dad, and two daughters. And Lavo a young man who has been attending church for over a year. I did not baptize a single one, all members of the branch. Actually, doing it like that is a little better. When the branch baptizes our investigators they develop a connection. When we baptize, we leave and don't see them much. Forming a branch family over here is essential. It is anywhere for that matter.

So you'll hate me for this, but I am sending a smaller email. I spent so much time on transfers and sending you those photos I don't have nearly enough time. Plus, Elder Vanderwerff (THANK YOU SO MUCH!) is getting a shout out from me. I love that guy. I miss him and his family. Tell Sister V. hi for me. For that matter, how is Nate and Brother Vanderwerff?

No port bible? That's fine. I realized that you might not find the one I wanted(with such crappy directions too.) I'll try getting one here(not sure how, but I'll try). I have one, but I want one that is small. About the size of the small Book of Mormon I brought. SO! No biggy. I will absolutely LOVE the package no matter what you put in it.

Language? Still moving along, but I am a ton better. My two transfers with a native REALLY helped with that.

I love you, why do you keep on complimenting me? I love it anyway. I feel more inspired to be and do how you view me when I hear what you say. Most of the time your compliments are way too nice. But I love you. Thanks.

Now, the person who should be complimented is you. Six boys...two gone off to far away countries for their missions with the possibility of more. You have raised us with Dad so well. I feel I was ungrateful for your great example to us.

Well, forgive me for the shortness, but Dad, Josh, Freddy, and Pres are in need of letters too. Love you all a ton!

Yo missionary in Africa,
Elder Christopher Wartena

PS--Particular areas? Nah. I said I'd like to move a lot, and so far I got my wish, but honestly "I'll go where you want me to go dear lord."

PPS-- I am looking forward to seeing those potholders.

We hope you enjoyed the email this week.  As always we loved it.  We are eternally grateful for the internet in our day.  What a blessing to hear from our missionaries each week instead of waiting for the mail.  Chris is happy and healthy.  

May you have a wonderful week in your part of the world.

Signing off for now,
The Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment