Favorite Scripture

Alma 36:21-22
21 Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy.

22 Yea, methought I saw, even as our father Lehi saw, God sitting upon His throne, surrounded with numberless concourses of angels, in the attitude of singing and praising their God; yea, and my soul did long to be there.

Monday, April 1, 2013

So, I now know that Mozambique does have Skittles...in one spot. Maputo shopping is HUMONGOUS! I don't know why it is here or who built it, but in a spot quite out of our way and hard to find there is a giant five or six story shopping mall...ok, by American standards it's a pretty normal if not a little low class, but here, wow. They sell skittles and peanut M&M's. The bad news is, I didn't have any money on me and it is unlikely we'll return due to the expensive nature of the place and how hard it is to get there.
So, update, package has not arrived. The assistants say that it is unpredictable how the post works here. Some Elders get their package in a month (like my first) others wait around 6 for it to arrive. We'll see. Not worried.

So, one complete family at church. Xavier finally came with his wife! The drop in numbers? Al's daughter was sick with epilepsy(not fun) and A's wife went to visit her Mom in Matola. Poo. But, it looks like we could get those three families all next week! And, our goal is to find at least one more to start progressing this week. YEAH! 4 full families at church...it'll be awesome. Our district made it a goal to get 12 investigating families at church this next Sunday. Oh yeah.

How'd my Easter go? Well, I contacted and learned how much false tradition is around the Easter holiday. There was all sorts of talk about palm leaves and special services for the different days of the week. In one lesson they started arguing about the exact time Christ rose on the third day. Just interesting. One thing we have found, but found more this week, is that people are very surprised we only worship on Sunday. Only Sunday?! All the other churches go around three or four times at least, if not much more. Also, when they find out we don't get paid to be missionaries they don't believe us at first. interesting.

Funny you'd mention deviled eggs, I'd been craving boiled eggs all this week. Mmmm. You are a mean mother to tell me of food. Kidding.

I love Grandpa. Oh, that reminds me, I finally got the dearelder he sent me from last December. Hehe...

So, this is a big week. We are getting eight new missionaries. 7 from the states. Two sisters! Crazy! They will be driving a car and working only in the more city parts of Maputo. It's weird how much you hear living in the house with the assistants and the office elders. The other sister is from Angola and is only here until she get's her visa to her actual mission. Then, here in the next few months we'll get a TON more Elders and the sister count will be 8 when all is said and done. I will be sure to see a lot of the new missionaries because of the house in which I live.

The weather? Rain, a little bit. Hot, humid, same old. "Cold season" is coming up. Hah! Maybe, MAYBE jacket weather. And that only in the early morning. Also, cold season lasts about two months. Yup, weather.

Hehe, yup, I now weigh around 140. I went to Africa and put on weight. Backwards.

Wedding ties...no comment. Hannah sounds nice from her emails though.

Focusing on the Celestial Kingdom. YES! One should focus on his goals. We focus on baptism and try to center our teaching around that. It really helps. Focus on the celestial kingdom and center your life around that(around Christ). If there is something that may block your way from that goal, remove it, it will hamper your progression and also block things coming from heaven too(like blessings). Our Heavenly Father never has any walls up to keep us from him, it's us who build those walls.

Oh, I told a random African guy I would dar comprementos (A.k.a say hi) to you. No, I don't know him either, just a guy who stopped us in the street.

I need another recipe: Dutch babies! A.k.a puffy pancakes! Heaven on a plate! Yummy. If you wouldn't mind it.

Well, I don't have much else to say. Next week is ALREADY transfers. E. Coombs and I both think we'll just stay together. This next one is his last transfer(that means we'll go lembrant/souvenir shopping soon).

Say hi to Elder Adam Ekstrom next time you see him for me.


Well, Love you all, hope you have a great General conference(I'll get it here in a bit when they translate it to Portuguese[and this time I'll understand a little more]),


Love,

Elder Christopher Wartena

saw a monkey this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment