Favorite Scripture

Alma 36:21-22
21 Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy.

22 Yea, methought I saw, even as our father Lehi saw, God sitting upon His throne, surrounded with numberless concourses of angels, in the attitude of singing and praising their God; yea, and my soul did long to be there.

Monday, October 29, 2012

Hehe, Yup. Transfers. I told Dad, but here ya go. TRANFERS! Thems was dis past weeeek yep. Yo smert sun furgut ta tel ya bout wat did done go un wid dem. So, it was a crazy big change! (insert sarcastic voice throughout this part) Everyone got switched up! I mean, I'm staying in T3 training with Elder Awbrey. I will no longer be training next transfer. Elder Francicso's Companion, Elder Thacker, went home to be replaced by Elder De Oliveira (translated to Elder Of the Olive Tree-awesome Brazilian guy!). Wow! Such a change. Yup, this was a pretty boring transfer. Elder De Oliveira is an awesome guy, but that's all that changed with our house.
So, to tell ya'll a bit about what I'm doing (and sorry I don't do this more but my stupid brain likes to forget important things) I am going to tell you about some of the people here. Freitas-Ok, this is a big, tall, BUILT black buy. I am not kidding when I say his could palm my head and crush it like a grape. Every handshake his hand just eats mine. And to top it off, he played for the Mozambique basketball team. Pretty much, he's your average "boss of a black guy". We met him contacting. We sat down in his house and he started showing us all the Bible and religion books he has and telling us how he just loves to read, then we spy a surprising addition to his library: Gospel Principles! What?! Sure enough, it's LDS. We gave him a Book of Mormon but he hasn't read it yet; BUT he said he'll read a chapter a day this week!, (He said that before we even committed him) due to being too busy with his work as a protein, muscle builder shake mix(you know, the protein powder stuff) company boss. I think one thing he needs to understand is how there is only one gospel and only one way to return to God's presence.

Everyone here has the same response to "do you want to hear more about the gospel?" and that is "Nao tenho problema. Para ouvir a palavra de Deus e bom." or in English "I don't have any problem with that. Yeah, to hear God's word is good." UG. The problem "God is the same everywhere! And in every church too!" is so frustrating. YES! God loves ALL his children and yes some of the other churches teach good things and are good organizations and do good for the community, BUT! There is only one way whereby salvation cometh! Through Christ and his one true gospel! One little baptism people! Oh, we have no problem with doors slamming in our faces or dogs sent to kill us, but getting someone to change their lives, to truly understand the importance of the gospel(such as authority and why you need that to baptize[or plain old what Baptism actually is]) is so hard. People will let you teach them, but sometimes they just nod their heads and say "exactament" the whole time without actually hearing what you are saying.

OOH!!! Ah, another thing. Tell Isaac Weaver I got his letter from a couple weeks back(The Lego football and basketball fields sound cool!) and LOVE it! 

Turns out that DearElder works here. They just send it over with the pouch mail every Tuesday and Thursday(that's the days mail from the US comes in). That's great here in Maputo, but if I get sent up North then they won't reach me for a long time. It goes to the mission office and sits there (exactly the same as packages) until they can get it to me.

Also, thanks Grandpa for your letter too!
So, you won't get too many letters telling about eating with the members or investigators. As a very big "suggestion"(almost a rule), we are not to eat at anyone's house due to the danger of unsanitariness(a word, dunno). Well, needless to explain, one reason is that some people do not have toilet paper. Therefore, "What else is your left hand for anyway?" So...we have to be VERY careful with the food prepared by others(not to mention which hand we shake). BUT, we are probably going to eat with a member family some time this transfer. We have planned to sit with them tomorrow(cake is promised-the mom says she loves cooking for the missionaries), and later this month we may get a lesson with dinner. They are a well off enough family that we can be assured that the food will be fine, so no worries. I am so excited though! I get to finally try some African food! I mean, I've had some, but not really a meal. Elder Thacker was telling me of two dishes to try before I leave(who's names escape me).


Also, we are working with the branch. They need to grow closer and develop a more welcome atmosphere at church. So, to develop a "Branch family" is something right on our minds.
I had really better finish up. I love you all, know that I am getting better, I am still having some trouble missing all you guys(it is really hard having two big desires at the same time: wanting to be here serving my mission, and being with you guys helping you.) I am getting a lot better. I just need to forget the time, and myself, get to work and love the people. My brain just loves counting the months before I get to see you, but then turning round and knowing I'd miss this place too. Bah!

 Gotta go teach some people!
Elder Christopher Wartena

No comments:

Post a Comment