Favorite Scripture

Alma 36:21-22
21 Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy.

22 Yea, methought I saw, even as our father Lehi saw, God sitting upon His throne, surrounded with numberless concourses of angels, in the attitude of singing and praising their God; yea, and my soul did long to be there.

Monday, October 1, 2012

I am now, at this very time, writing to the best family on the planet. AH! Ya'll sent me so much! I love you guys.



So, the recipes, I hope Maputo's stores have all this great stuff. My problem is that I can't A.buy too much with my limited budget (the lesser problem) B.Get it all home. We live out in a beirro (suburb of Maputo) called T-3 and we have to go into the city to get all our food. Hopefully we can get a ride home. I haven't had to ride in a chappa home yet. Oops, vocab, a Chappa is a van looking vehicle that drives around a certain route like a bus. Man, they are FUN! Yah, it's like a bus system (except they have a bus system-we don't use it and I don't know why). The reason coming home on a chappa would suck is that when we return we have all our groceries with us, and my backpack only fits so much). Taxi, though more expensive, is much better and if you get a ride with the AP, Pres, or an elderly couple (the first choice) your day is made. Stick your stuff in the back, climb in, drive home. Easy. Chappa...yep, literally taking home all your groceries in a van packed full of people. Not fun.

So, before I forget, Elder Wilkey. I love that guy. Tell him that his BOM reading was fantastic. I know the Book of Mormon so much better and actually have come to love personal study time as my favorite time of the day. My advice, read the stinking scriptures. Know them, devoure them, if you know have Preach my Gospel, read it! I am out here wishing that I had spent more time finding scriptures and getting to know the great gift that is the scriptures. Don't just know one scripture on a subject(for example, the Law of Chastity or Plan of Salvation), because someone out here will need a different one. I know the scripture where Alma (Port. for Soul...The book of Soul...Kinda funny) is talking to his son........Corianton I think......about the harlot Isabel and how he needs to shape up his life. Yeah, that might offend someone, also, it can be confusing and not really explain the concept of Chastity in a way that will help THAT person. It could help someone, but you must have all the scriptures and knowledge and spirit you can to help ANYBODY. This work is very specific to the individual, so read and know the scriptures. If you know the scriptures you will be able to help others do the same.

Another thing to tell the young men, go with the missionaries, talk to your friends about the church, just don't be afraid to share the gospel. For pities sake, I didn't want to talk to anyone about the gospel before my mission. They'd look at me funny, they'd call me weird, they wouldn't want to be my friend anymore. Just share the gospel! Make sure they understand that you believe that this gospel is the one thing in the ENTIRE world that can bless your life more than any other thing. Love this work.

Also, let them know that this is DANG hard. This is, no exceptions, the hardest thing I have ever done in my life (and I'm only a week from my month mark). Tell them to prepare now for two years of working hard EVERY day. This is not to convince you not to come, but to let you know just how important it is to prepare in EVERY way possible. This work is so worth it. I get ALOT of rejection and at times no one wants to do anything or even try to listen, but when someone decides to listen and do ALL they need to do, then you realize what you are doing. You are out here bringing the spirit to others so they have the choice to gain exaltation. You use your mouth to form the (funky Port. words) words, but honestly, Elder Wartena ain't doing squat, the spirit is what is doing EVERYTHING. Be worthy of it and work your hardest or, yes, this two years will suck. If you do all you can to give them all the opportunities to come to Christ, they will feel it through your crappy Portuguese and they will have the chance to accept it.

A net, it's fine, my bed is actually pretty normal for the bottom bunk. Yup, cooking is fun. I have little time to do it, but I try. I have put chicken with rice, yes, and I tried some very simple spaghetti (eh, no), but I hope to be able to cook at least one better recipe (like the ones you guy sent me) a week (make a ton and eat it for a couple days at a time).

Hm, home, no, I feel very far from home right now. I am having a tough time out here, but I am slowly getting better. My current thing I am working on is accepting the long time I have here. It isn't just a quick thing, two years is a while. Pouco e pouco (little by little). I am getting there, my brain just isn't ready to accept Mozambique as home and always betrays me with thoughts of Utah. Bah. I am improving though. My first month was a rough one, and I hope my second will let up a bit so I can finally concentrate completely on the work. Maybe therein lies the answer. "Forget yourself and GET TO WORK."


Mozambique is, in pretty much every way, on the other side of the world. My house is in the best in our area, but that's not saying much. People here live in houses ranging from brick with paint and a fence with gate(not bad, but in Utah it is rather poor) to grass hut thingy hard to describe in anyway but dang poor with a live stick hedge. All these are mushed into lines and blocks with no addresses, divided by sandy roads. Our house is a step up. Cement with a iron fence and door with large bars and lock. Living room has rather nice tile, a table, chairs, and a bamboo looking couch. The kitchen is really small with one sink, one table, limited cupboard space (spelling ah! I will study that when I return so I don't type like a doof), and a stove. Oops, a fridge. It's nice. Two bedrooms with two beds a dresser and desks (and airconditioner-what?! That was weird to see).

Honestly, I should stop, but I have so much to tell you. I also need to email Dad and Josh something.

I love this time every week to type you guys. I love hearing all about home. Sorry I can't respond to all. If there is something really important for me to respond to in any emails you send, please underline them so I know.

Sorry I cannot answer all. I want to sit here and tell you guys so much, but I don't have time. I have found that, as Josh has, I need to plan time more effectively to get anything done.

I feel this email is a little lacking, Please know I pray for you in every prayer.

I love you guys,
Elder Christopher Andre Wartena

PS. Good luck with school, I hope it's going well.

No comments:

Post a Comment