Favorite Scripture

Alma 36:21-22
21 Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy.

22 Yea, methought I saw, even as our father Lehi saw, God sitting upon His throne, surrounded with numberless concourses of angels, in the attitude of singing and praising their God; yea, and my soul did long to be there.

Monday, July 22, 2013

So, yes, once again I come bearing bad news. Well, it's not bad news. It's actually good news. the point is that I feel I need to write my mission president better weekly letters. Yeah, I feel as though I write everyone else first and then write a stupid, short, get it out because time is nearly up letter each week. So, the bad news is that he is going to be written first things every week.  Yeah...I know, that means I will probably end up with less time writing here, but I feel this is right. I know I will see you guys again (less than a year!)but I only get this short time to be a missionary and I want to do it the best I can. but! I will still write you. I will try and spend good time on you guys. I love you guys. I hope you know that.

Ah, My mommy's dreaming about me. Just so you know, I am perfectly fine and still in Africa. We did not end up going to the dam and this week either(they have no gas apparently). Bummed out :( but still happy nonetheless :)

The river we cross every day.
Hehe. Hot...you don't even know hot. Nah, actually we have been having nicer weather with clouds, so I still am saved the SCALDING DEATH SUN OF TETE!!!!!!! or so that's how it sounds like. I am going to have FUN in September. But, I feel for you guys in the heat. Enjoy and love the swamp cooler.
This is a picture of me crossing the river.  We walk across this bridge twice every day.
Favorite thing about Africa. That's a pretty vague question there. It's a big place. Hm...the people. They are so nice. You can be tromping through the neighborhoods(which to an American's eyes looks like tromping right through people's yards) and pass a family eating lunch, they will tell you "Your plate is served, come eat." A lot of the time. This is a family you have never even seen in your life. Those who you know, your investigators for example, will constantly try and feed you. If it is anywhere near lunch or dinner they will try to feed you. AH! I feel bad sometimes. They are so poor and they constantly try to give you all they got. STOP! I sometimes want to cry. I love them.  Besides that, there are some pretty sick trees called Bomdeiros here in Tete. I sent you a shot. It's the giant gnarly tree.

Baptisms? Not yet, but we have a good number working towards the first weeks in August. Getting people baptised is one thing, getting them married is another. Add the two, WHOO! A challenge. But, a challenge from the lord, so he helps a lot. It takes a ton of faith(from you and you investigators) and a lot of work, but this is the Lord's work and glory and he will succeed and the people will feel and see the lord's miracles begin to work in their lives as soon as they start. (RUN ON sentence can you say? gotta love it. ;)


I LOVED the missionary broadcast. We finally got it here in Tete. Oh! It got me all fired up and I just had bear my testimony afterwords to the branch leaders about how excited I was for them and for the work. The spirit was SO strong. While all that they talked about(ward council and all that) is not yet in place here, I know it isn't far and miracles are in store for this country.

Funny thing. I showed a member here the picture of all you guys posing at Dad's graduation and she thought Matt was me! She almost couldn't be convinced it was my brother. She said you look exactly like me.
Chris and his new companion, Elder Sorenson.  We think the fingers are indicating how much time they have left on their missions.  1 year for Chris and we think eight months for Elder Sorenson.
Well, I love ya but once again I gotta go. Say hi to all in Utah for me! I love You all.

Eating lot's of dust and sunshine,
Elder Chris Wartena

PS. Grey suits and Khakis. Got me. I have heard nothing. All I know is that I have worn my suit about a grand total of 4-10 times since I got here in Africa. hehe. It is rather hot here and a suit would be murder. SHORT SLEEVE THE WHOLE WAY!!! WHOO!!! XOXOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment