Favorite Scripture

Alma 36:21-22
21 Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy.

22 Yea, methought I saw, even as our father Lehi saw, God sitting upon His throne, surrounded with numberless concourses of angels, in the attitude of singing and praising their God; yea, and my soul did long to be there.

Sunday, September 2, 2012

I just want to tell everyone I'm sorry for the lack of updating this blog lately.  I have been reluctant to share all of Chris's emails.  No reason other than I'm feeling a bit stingy.  Just wanting to sit and savor his emails all to ourselves and enjoy the part of him we get each week.  We have been feeling a bit vulnerable and pulling in tighter to one another as a family.  

Without further ado, I happily share this week's email with you.  He is happy and doing well.  Only about 2 weeks and he heads off to Africa.

Dear Family,

So...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!
FLIGHT PLANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!! Whoop!

So, I am sending you a copy in the mail, but I'll give you something here.
Salt lake to Fort worth Texas. Texas to London Heathrow. London to Johannesburg. And, finally, Johannesburg to Maputo.
Four flights. The longest one, from dallas to london, is 4:55 pm the 10th to 7:50 am the 11th. Do the math. Then there's the 12 hour one from london to africa. That doesn't even mention the other two flights and layovers...like the 12 hour layover in London. So...I've got some time on my hands when I get there.
And, then we found the little peice of paper about the Africa airways. So, one peice of checked luggage, but now only 44 lbs allowed. Yes I can have a carry-on but it can only be 15 lbs. The backpack? I'm pretty sure they allow one. It didn't specifically say. Oh, when you get the peice of paper it says Cape town on top...that means that all that applies to me is the luggage and airline stuff not the other stuff.

So there's the gist, I'm sending the copy today of the actual itinerary.

So, starting from the top of you email:
No problem. I love getting mail in any form. The dearelders or email. I logged in and there you were! Horray!
A PACKAGE! Whoomp! I feel like a celebrity. I don't have it yet, but I can hardly wait for mail time after lunch.
My brothers are the best brothers in the entire universe. I LOVE YOU GUYS! You would give up your own MP3 players?! For mean old Chris?! I'm honored. Whatever you send, I will love it.

Speakers? Don't send anything special. They need to be small and light. And DO NOT spend tons of money. Last thing I want is you spending loads of cash on me when I will just A. go to africa with it. B. Send it back and tell you to buy yarn or school supplies. C. Squeeze it into a back pack. D. Love you no matter what you do because you are so awesome to take time out of your day to do this for me!

Quick experience.
So I was getting my itinerary copied to send to you and the girl there asked me how to say "Thanks for your friendship" in portuguese. So, I said "Obrigado por sua..." then I didn't know the word for friendship. So I went to my pocket dictionary. But I couldn't find it........until my comp said "Friendship is spelled 'f-r-i-e...' not 'f-r-e-n-d..." Yup. I have forgotten how to speak and write english even before becoming fluent in portuguese. YAY! I consider that a good sign.

Tell, Dad I feel his pain. I can't wait until he's done. I am so sad. I will miss my own father's graduation! WHY?! POR QUE!?!?! Eu morreria.

I think that I heard that every member of my zone has said at least one thing about that game. There are Utes here and some Cougars. Most of them expressed a wish to go. I'm excited for Dad and Nate though! They will LOVE it!

How is Josh's grammer anyway?

Matt babysitting. Weird. He is getting so old. Nuff said.

YAY! Go hair! That stuff is fun to hear about.
Well, I found out that my hair will not part if it is crazy short. This last Sunday we put tons of crap in it and it barely made it(it was parts and paislies[ties] day). Even then, the cowlick tried to take over.

Enjoy that party. Tell Luke happy birthday for me!

MR. SUMMERS LEFT?! NOOO! Crud. Well, good on Nate for not spending a bijillion dollars on mallets. I am so happy for him. I loved dance. I can just see him now. Red cape, mustache, pretty girl in long red dress just a Paso Dobleing up the floor. I think he would fit well in Paso Doble.(yes, I know I can't spell) And being swamped with stuff you love certainly is the best happiness and stress one can have. GO NATE!

Aha! An assignment for personal scripture study? I'll do my best.

I can't wait for all those pictures. I miss you guys. It's weird. I have lived my whole life almost always with at least one member of my family within speaking distance. Now, I don't have that. I love you all. I'm not coming home-you couldn't pay me enough-but I love and miss and pray for you every day.

Yup, postmart is great. I'll get it there with about...oh...HALF of what I brought. That's the one thing I'm worried about when it comes to packing.

Finally, no, I cannot believe I am actually going to Africa in two weeks. I think I'll get to Johanessburg, step out, then it'll hit me. Then I'll step out at Maputo and the fact that I will be living there for two years will hit me. Yup...It is nuts. I got a little of it with the flight plans, but the reality will hit me like a brick wall when I actually get there. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... excited! One week is too long! Augh. And too short. AUGH!

Well, I'm not sure what else I could say. Oh, my mission pres said I will get that letter telling me more of what to bring soon. Hopefully before wednesday. I hoped it would be in my email today, but no dice. We'll see what happens. It'll all work out in the end.

Well, I have to stop, my computer is mad at me.
Love you more than toilet paper(quote from someone "Don't shake Mozambique people with the left hand...they don't have toilet paper." which I hope is false.)


Elder Christopher Andre Wartena

There you have it.  Another week in the life of a very happy missionary.
Signing off for now,
The Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment